Built in 1820, what is now the North House Museum has long held a place of prominence along Washington Street. Originally constructed for John North, a prominent lawyer in early ninetieth-century Lewisburg, it was later a tavern and inn, and even later a residence for the local college president. It’s now the keeper of “the story” -- housing Greenbrier County artifacts, archives and family tree.
Musuem Tours. The museum, filled with artifacts dating back to the Civil War and early settlements, displays original items belonging to the house’s first occupants, John North and his wife, Charlotte. The museum’s collections also include an 18th-century Conestoga wagon and the first rural free delivery postal buggy. To learn about the region's history, the museum offers free interpretive tours.
Special tours are offered, such as Historic Walks, Black History Walks, the North House and Town Tour and the Cemetery Walks (tours of the Old Stone and Confederate cemeteries). The average cost is $10 per person per tour. Keep in mind tha these walking tours require walking up and down the rolling hills of Lewisburg and last around an hour each.
The Archives. The society maintains archives, including genealogical records that are accessible to the public. (Please call ahead to schedule an appointment to research in the archives.)
Researched by Belinda Anderson.
HOURS: The museum is open from 10-4, Tue-Sat during January and February. The schedule extends Mon-Sat the rest of the year. No appointment is needed for a tour; however, please call ahead to reserve space in the archive room.
MORE SITES TO SEE.
The natural beauty of Greenbrier Valley is hard to explain in words, but easy to grab in pictures... No filter required. See what others are doing and share your experiences using the #simplygbv hashtag.