Alderson C&O Railroad Depot


SHARE THIS PAGE

History Stop

Built in 1896, this Chesapeake & Ohio Railway depot was originally painted to match the C&O’s Fast Flying Virginian train. The train’s passenger cars were maroon-accented orange, with elaborate lettering and scrollwork in gold leaf.

Many historical figures traveled the C&O to Alderson. Benjamin Harrison spoke in 1896 from a railroad car platform before he became the nation’s president. Theodore Roosevelt was serving as president when he delivered what is reported as a rip-roarin’ speech in 1912. President Ulysses S. Grant just stopped to dine at a nearby hotel.

The depot still serves as a whistle-stop for Amtrak's Cardinal line with a small museum of local and railroad history in the old baggage room. 

This "history stop" was researched and written by Belinda Anderson. A series of history booklets commissioned by Alderson Main Street and written by Anderson is available for sale. More information is available by calling (304) 445-2916.

 

More Info

The museum is open by appointment.

 


ADD TO FAVORITES

Sign up for email updates