Alderson Memorial Pedestrian Bridge

RT. 12 AND MONROE AVE.
ALDERSON, WV

SHARE THIS PAGE

Completed in 1914, the Alderson Memorial Bridge connects the counties of Greenbrier and Monroe. Replacing an existing iron bridge built in 1881, bids were submitted for steel and concrete. The concrete won out.

At the time of its completion, it was the longest earth-filled, reinforced concrete arch bridge in West Virginia. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it is now the only concrete arch bridge remaining in the state.

Today the bridge is only open to pedestrian traffic and the occasional parade and community gathering. Since Alderson exists on two sides of the Greenbrier River, including shopping and other attractions, it’s a relaxing way to tour the town and enjoy the scenic view along the river.  

More Info

If you want to learn more about Alderson, West Virginia, Alderson Main Street has a four-volume book of its history. 


Alderson Memorial Pedestrian Bridge info

Located on Rt. 12 and Monroe Ave.

ADD TO FAVORITES

Sign up for email updates