The Greenbrier Valley, mostly aligned with the South, sent about 3,000 men to serve the Confederate army.
After the Civil War’s Battle of Lewisburg in 1862, the Union commander ordered the bodies of slain Confederate soldiers cast into a trench beside Old Stone Presbyterian Church. Later these men were reburied, along with unknown soldiers from other battles--approximately 95 men--in a common grave mounded in the shape of a cross on a hill above the church.
A walking trail from the Greenbrier County Public Library leads to the cemetery. The site is also accessible by car.
Researched and written by Belinda Anderson.