Visit the Alderson Artisan Gallery, a non-profit cooperative, for one-of-a-kind artwork created by local artists. They have 13 artisans featuring fiber art, hooked rugs, paintings and photography, cards, jewelry, stone sculpture, intricate wooden vehicles, steampunk art, stained glass and pottery.
See what's new at the gallery by visiting the online store.
History Stop - The Renaissance Building
H.C. Hogsett came to Alderson in 1897 and opened a store in what is now called the Renaissance Building. In 1908, he sold the building to J.G. Houchins, who opened a drug store. Houchins, in turn, sold the building in 1909 to the newly chartered Alderson National Bank, which expanded the structure to three floors.
The third floor was called Jarrett Massey Hall, now divided into apartments. In 1922, national figure William Jennings Bryan, famous for his "Cross of Gold" speech and for his part in the prosecution of the Scopes trial, spoke in the hall for two hours to a packed house. Most businesses closed so their employees could hear his lecture opposing the Darwinian Theory of Evolution.
The bank eventually closed as a result of the Great Depression, but today the building houses Asian Athletics, Corner Store Variety and the Alderson Artisans Gallery.
This "history stop" was researched and written by Belinda Anderson. A series of history booklets commissioned by Alderson Main Street and written by Anderson is available for sale. More information is available by calling (304) 445-2916.
CURRENT HOURS: the gallery is temporarily closed but online and pick up services are available.