Visit the Greenbrier County Clerks Office to obtain a marriage license. The office is open Monday through Friday, from 8:30a.m. to 4:30p.m. and is located within the Greenbrier County Courthouse in Lewisburg.
Greenbrier County Clerks Office
912 Court Street North
Lewisburg, West Virginia 24901
Applying for a Marriage License
Both bride and groom must be present when applying for a marriage license. The fee for a marriage license is $56.00. If you plan on receiving minister's counceling, the fee is only $36.00 for the license. You will need to supply a signed letter by the minister on church letterhead.
Items to bring with you:
- Photo identification, such as a driver's license, state ID or passport
- Social security number
- Parents' full names, including mother's maiden name and their places of birth
- If previously married, the date of divorce or date of spouse's death
You do not have to be a resident of West Virginia to obtain a marriage license. Non-residents may apply in any county.
If you or your intended are West Virginia residents, at least one of you must live in Greenbrier County to apply in this county. You will need to present an ID that proves residency.
Waiting Period and Expiration
You will receive your license immediately. The license expires 60 days after issuance.
For Applicants Under the Age of 18:
- Both parents must be presnt at the time of application.
- If either partner is under 18, parental or guardian consent forms must be signed. You will need a certified copy of your birth certificate.
- There is a three (3) day waiting period after license is issued before you are permitted to marry.
- Be sure to contact the County Clerks office for additional requirements.
For more information, please call the County Clerks Office at 304-647-6602.