Importance of Tourism
Top States of Visitor Origin:
West Virginia Research
- Travelers to the Mountain State left a $4.3 billion impact from direct travel spending in 2008.
- The travel industry in WV employs 44,000 individuals and generates more than $912 million in earnings annually.
- Tourism saves each household in the state $799 in state and local taxes to maintain current service levels.
2010_Economic_Impact_WV_Division_of_Tourism.pdf (PDF - 402 KB)
2008_Economic_Impact_Study_WV_Div_of_Tourism.pdf (PDF - 514 KB)
2006 Overnight Profile - WV Div. of Tourism (PDF - 2.4 MB)
2006 Motorcoach Economic Impact Study - WV Div. of Tourism (PDF - 296 KB)
Greenbrier County Research
- Tourism supports 2,460 jobs and nearly $87 million in earnings.
- Tourism generates over $1.8 million in local government revenue.
- Greenbrier County ranks 5th in the state for overall travel spending.
- The county is easily accessed by six exits along Interstate 64.
- The City of Lewisburg’s Average Daily Rate (PDF file - ADR) and RevPAR (PDF file - Revenue per available room) have increased each year since 1998.
- The occupancy in the City of Lewisburg’s hotels and Bed & Breakfasts has nearly doubled since 1998.